3.04.2012

Pebbly Beach Fruit Squares


Once again, I'm probably one of the few bloggers who hasn't made these fun, crispy
 cookies. And after I made them, I took one look and decided I must have messed up the recipe. They tasted delightful, but I wondered: is this what they're supposed to look like? So I did some research online and discovered mine turned out exactly right. 

Lisa suggested soaking your dried fruit in some water (or fruit juice or wine) 
for about 20 minutes only to soften the fruit. (Might be fun to soak the fruit in rum or brandy during the holidays.) Then drain and dry before continuing on with the recipe.
So keep in mind: if it looks like you've screwed up the recipe, you've probably made them perfectly.  


Pebbly Beach Fruit Squares

From Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich  Via Lisa is Cooking


(Makes 24 to 32 two-and-a-half-inch squares)

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest or ground cinnamon or anise
1 cup moist dried fruit (one kind or a combination); dark or golden raisins; dried sour cherries; dried cranberries; coarsely chopped dates; dried apricots, or prunes; finely chopped candied ginger
1/4 cup turbinado or other coarse sugar


Method:
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and mix together thoroughly with a whisk or fork. With a large spoon in a medium mixing bowl or with a mixer, beat butter with the granulated sugar until smooth and well blended but not fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and lemon zest and beat until smooth. Add flour mixture and mix until completely incorporated.


Divide the dough in half and form each into a rectangle. Wrap the patties in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven.
Remove dough from the refrigerator and let sit for 15 minutes to soften slightly. On a sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap, roll one piece of dough into a rectangle 81/2 inches by 16 1/2 inches. With a short side facing you, scatter half of the dried fruit on the bottom half of the dough. Fold top half of the dough over fruit, using the paper as a handle. Peel paper from the top of dough. (If it sticks, chill dough for a few minutes until the paper peels easily.) Dust top of dough lightly with half of the coarse sugar and pat lightly to make sure the sugar adheres. Use a heavy knife to trim the edges. 
Cut into 4 strips and then cut each strip into 4 pieces to make 16 squares. Place cookies 2 inches apart on lined or greased cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough, fruit, and sugar.Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Rotate pans from top to bottom and from front to back halfway through the baking time to ensure even baking. For lined pans, set the pans or just the liners on racks to cool; for unlined pans, use a metal spatula to transfer cookies to racks. Cool cookies completely before stacking or storing. May be kept in an airtight container for a week.

32 comments:

  1. OMG these are just like cookies I used to eat as a kid...they were thin and filled with a raisin paste, and you could break them up into squares, I wish i could remember their name! I would love to make these with apricots or cherries, and I love the idea of soaking them in rum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try them with dried cranberries very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful squares! I bet they are quite addictive.

    cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look great and love the shape

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh..these would be very dangerous for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job Barbara, great looking squares. I have a recipe where you soak dried fruit in port. That's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This look like yummy little parcels of sweet fruit! Looks beautiful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, I have never made these. But that is about to change. Thanks Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must of missed these on Lisa's site! I need to make them ASAP - they look incredibly good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, these look amazing! I will be making these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must have missed these too. I sure wouldn't mind a sample right now!

    They look yummy, Barbara...

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love these! Especially with cherry or apricot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These have not been under my radar but they sure look good. They remind me somewhat of Garibaldi biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These cookies are looking so apart & alternative to any cookies that I ever baked! Very interesting too!

    Another must make! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous fruit cookies! They are so different from the cookies I know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never made these but looking at yours, I know I have to change this and dive right in. Scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. *raising ashamed, limp hand* I haven't made these either, but they look delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never heard of these cookies but I think I'd really like them! I like your idea of making them around the holidays, they sound like a cookie version of fruit cake -- delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh boy, it's been ages since I made these. I think the last time I used a fig middle? Can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh wow these sound good...i like my cookies crisp...and i love fruit too...so this is deliciousness all wrapped up in one...

    ReplyDelete
  21. uh...not only have i not made these cookies, i don't recall ever seeing them! they're great, barbara--nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love prunes and these cookies look so inviting, I am sure I wouldn't be able to eat just one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Barbara,

    I have made something like these, a long time ago, with dried apricots.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe and will have to try them again.

    Have a happy week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  24. Don't feel like your the last one to make them because I hadn't even heard of them before seeing yours! They look delicious with the filling. Mmmm, I'm already thinking of dried cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i haven't made these yet either, but they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT. Exactly what I needed! I have a box of gourmet dried fruits that the kids don't really like, and I didn't know what to do with them. This is wonderful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I guess I'm one of the millions of bloggers who HAS made these cookies. LOL Worth every calorie, too. Thanks for the reminder that I should make another batch REAL soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. We have cookies just like these and they are a favourite of mine. I should try making them from scratch. I'd imagine they'd be even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. They look great, and thanks for the mention! I had the same thought as I wondered if mine turned out right. And, they seemed easier than I thought they were going to be. Loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I din't understand how looking at that stack of amazing cookies that it would even cross your mind that there might be "something wrong"?!? They look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I need to make these cookies! I have got all these candied fruits in the cupboard, need to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks simply delish! I like how it is done. What a inspiration.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails