4.06.2015

Grilled Fennel Tarts


Fennel is one of my favorite vegetables....love it roasted and make it frequently. One thing I don't like much is raw fennel in salads...the anise flavor is more pronounced, which I don't particularly care for. But caramelized, it's divine. We all have our little quirks.


When I saw this tart, I knew I'd love it and, cut into smaller pieces, it would also make a nice appetizer. I made it for lunch, left the puff pastry whole and placed whole fennel slices on it, then sliced it afterwards. You can do it my way or follow the instructions below.


Grilled Fennel Tarts
From Spoon Fork Bacon


Ingredients:
2 medium fennel bulbs (with fronds intact)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 ounces Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
1 ounce mascarpone, softened
2 teaspoons oregano, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 lemon, zested
2 sheets puff pastry, cut into 2 x 5” rectangles
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Thinly slice fennel heads into 1/2 inch slices (lengthwise) and cut each piece in half. (I left them whole.) Brush each piece of fennel with oil and season with salt and pepper.
Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat and lightly grease. Grill fennel for about 3 minutes on each side or until nicely charred and softened. Remove from heat and allow fennel pieces to cool.
In a small bowl combine Gruyere, mascarpone, oregano, red pepper flakes, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper and mash together with the back of a fork until fully combined. Cut your puff pastry into rectangles. (I left my puff pastry whole.) Spread a small amount of the cheese mixture over each piece of puff pastry, leaving the outer 1/4 inch perimeter bare.
Top each rectangle of cheese spread puff pastry with a piece of grilled fennel and gently press down. Place each tart onto a baking sheet, lined with parchment, and lightly season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the fennel begins to caramelize and the puff pastry turns golden brown.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.




20 comments:

  1. Your fennel looks perfect Barbara. This is a great reminder that I don't use fennel often enough.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous tart! I love this vegetable.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not fond of raw fennel either - but I'd love them in these tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these tarts Barbara!
    Look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine these being very tasty..
    I made your honey rolls for easter and of course they were a hit..soft ..pillowy..honey:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was cooking fennel yesterday and thinking about how different it is when cooked compared to raw. The sweet, cooked fennel sounds so good with the Gruyere and mascarpone. Wish I could grab one of these slices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fennel every way and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I would love this Barbara. Can hardly wait to try it.
    I hope you are having a great Spring my dear. Have a wonderful week over there!
    hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel exactly the same way as you do about fennel. Baked with potatoes or caramelized I love it! Raw - not so much. These tarts looks delightful, Barbara! They would make a wonderful appetizer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Savory tart? I am so in! This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love fennel a lot, but mostly in salad and soup. This is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I would love this Barbara. I need to buy fennel next time I am at the store. I love using puff pastry too. So easy. Great appetizer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks wonderful must try it again

    ReplyDelete
  14. we all have our quirks INDEED! i think this looks great, as anything involving gruyere is worth a shot as far as i'm concerned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I imagine this must taste divine...I was just considering making Ina Garten's fennel gratin, the fennel is such a great spring veggie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you had a fabulous Easter. The tarte would be perfect for any gathering or a snack to enjoy on it's own. I'm with you about loving fennel. Fennel mashed potatoes is one of my favorite things in the world. This will be added to my list now for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This fennel tart looks fabulous Barbara...I yet have to bake with fennel...so far I only used fennel for salad...thanks for the recipe.
    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, this tart looks fantastic, Barbara. I can imagine it with a nice salad for either lunch or dinner. I've pinned this and can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never baked with fennel. The tarts look absolutely mouthwatering Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love fennel also, but don't like it in salads. I put it in pasta sometimes, but this looks so appealing that I need to try it asap!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails