6.29.2015

Blueberry Slab Pie


Looking for a dessert for your 4th of July picnic? Slab pies are the answer!  They serve a lot of people, you can eat them by hand, no plate, just a napkin. It's a nice surprise not to have to think about your blueberry pie being a little runny....this one holds together nicely. And frankly, I think making slab pie crusts are easier than making a regular pie crust. Almost like a galette: just tuck those edges under. No fuss.
If you have paper plates on hand, you could serve them on a plate as well, with a scoop of your favorite ice cream. For the 4th, I chose blueberries for this slab pie, but I've made peach and apple as well. I just think a blueberry pie goes better with the July 4th celebration.

HAVE A HAPPY AND SAFE 4TH EVERYONE!

Blueberry Slab Pie




Ingredients:
For the crust:
5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups (4 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 to 1 1/2 cups ice water


For the filling:
2 1/4 pounds fresh blueberries (8 cups)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
good dash of cinnamon, maybe even a scrape of fresh nutmeg

Method:

Make the crust:
In your food processor, pulse flour, salt, and sugar a couple times. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. With machine running, add 1 cup ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed. You can add more water in tablespoon increments, but just until dough holds together...do not overmix. Divide dough in half, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm or overnight.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
On a floured surface, roll out the first disk to a 12-by-16-inch rectangle. Place in a 10-by-14-by-1-inch rimmed jelly-roll pan. 

Make the blueberry filling:

Toss together blueberries, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and juice. Pour evenly over the unbaked bottom crust.
On a floured surface, roll out second disk to an 11-by-15-inch rectangle. Moisten the edges of the bottom crust with water. Lay the second piece of pastry over the blueberry filling; press along moistened edges to seal. (The bottom is bigger than the top, so I fold the bottom crust over the top and crimp to seal so the blueberries don't run out while baking.) 
Make some slices in the top, cut out some small stars or you could even do a lattice top crust if you like.
Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with a bit of sugar.
Place pie in the oven, reduce heat immediately to 375 and bake for about 50 minutes until crust is golden and blueberries are bubbling.
Cool at least an hour before slicing.



18 comments:

  1. A delicious dessert! I hope you'll have a wonderful 4th of July.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a slab pie before and I love the idea!! I could eat quite a few "slabs" I'm sure :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara, blueberries are one of my favorite berries and this pie looks delicious. Happy 4th to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh, Barbara, with as many potlucks as I have hosted, you'd think I would have made---or at least encountered---a slab pie. This is genius for a big group. Can't wait to make it! Happy 4th to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This look really delicious Barbara!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always heard of a slab pie but didn't know exactly what it was…I've got to make this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made a slab pie. That should change!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I simply can't get enough of those summer berries! This looks scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and I both had our minds on blueberry pie this week!
    Have a wonderful July 4th celebration. A blueberry slab pie is definitely the perfect way to cap off the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks both practical and delicious. I promised to make cornbread to take to our july 4th celebration, or I'd consider taking your suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. slab pies are AMAZING. they're perfect for potlucks and picnics, and a blueberry version would be magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This would not last 5 minutes at my house-Deliicous. Blueberry season is finishing up here and I have managed to pick about 12lbs of blueberries for the season. This would be perfect for this weekend. Thanks for sharing it.

    Happy 4th of July!
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been looking for something to take to a neighbor's barbecue! Thanks, this will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect, great use of blueberries, Barbara! Your slab pie is like our slices, a dessert or treat that everyone loves. Thanks for recipe, I have many bags of frozen blueberries and wonder how they would do in this. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  15. *I* would rather make/have that than the apple-cheddar bake the Knight has requested that I make/take for the 4th picnic at the firehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My gosh that looks good, Barbara! The perfect way to serve dessert on the 4th~ Hope you have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous…I love slab pies, but haven’t made one for awhile…you have just inspired me! Hope you had a lovely 4th!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails